The Legal firm of Dawes and Vary Pty Ltd has been providing legal services to the people of the Goulburn Valley for over 100 years.
We have dedicated staff in many areas of Law including;
Here at Dawes and Vary, our objective is
“to care for and advance our clients' interests"
Our key values are:
These values summarise our behaviour and drive our approach.
We aim to provide clients with practical legal advice to get the job
done efficiently and cost effectively.
We seek to establish long-term ongoing relationships with our clients.
Our professional and reliable personnel are there when you need them to look after your interests.
George Downer (admitted to the Bar 1st December, 1880)
practiced in Melbourne, and in the early 1890's started a country branch
office in Allan Street, Kyabram.
David Dawes, who had previously practiced as a Solicitor in England for 14 years, upon coming to Australia was employed as a Managing Law Clerk by George Downer in mid 1892.
David Dawes was admitted to the Bar on 31st July 1895 after first having to apply to the Victoria Full Supreme Court for admission to practice. See In re Dawes (1895) 1 Argus Law Reports 33.
Upon being admitted to practice, David Dawes acquired the Kyabram practice
of George Downer and practiced under his own name.
In about 1902 his second son, Bertram Jerman Dawes became articled to his father (he is referred to as an Articled Clerk in August 1902) and was later admitted as a partner. He died on 17th December 1913.
The name of the firm was later changed to Dawes & Son (the earliest known reference is in March 1911).
David Dawes' other sons also worked for him. Irvin Jerman Dawes was referred to as a Solicitor's Clerk in 1914 as an executor of his father's will. He later became a Bank Manager. Graham Jerman Dawes (Gray Dawes) was also a Law Clerk by 1914 (he witnessed his father's will) but later became an Agent.
David Dawes died on 21st February 1914. Prior to his death he asked his son-in-law Cyril Thomas Vary to join him at Kyabram. Cyril arrived the day David died.
Cyril Vary was admitted to practice on 3rd March 1913 and had ten years experience with W.B. & O. McCutcheon Solicitors of Melbourne. Cyril took over the Dawes' practice and in 1915 changed the name to Dawes & Vary.
Cyril Vary carried on the practice for 40 years until 1954 when he was succeeded by Geoffrey Vincent Flint and Philip James Bateman who continued the practice under the firm name of Dawes & Vary. Cyril died on 3rd August 1977. Geoff Flint, previously having completed his Articles under Cyril Vary, was admitted to practice on 2nd November 1953. Phil Bateman retired as a partner on 1st July 1959 and became Chairman of the Veteran's Affairs Appeals Tribunal.
Alexander John Kinnane (commonly known as "Mick")
commenced as an employee in July 1959 and then joined in partnership
with Geoff Flint on 1st January 1960. Mick Kinnane retired on 30th June
1964 and purchased his own practice known as James F. Brady in Echuca,
later known as James F. Brady and Kinnane. He died on 13th December
On 1st March 1960 John Murray Alfred Adams joined the firm and was accepted to complete the 5 year Articled Clerk's course. In 1961 he was granted leave to attend Melbourne University for 9 months and then commenced his Articles as from 1st February 1962.
John was admitted to practice on 1st March 1966 and joined Geoff Flint in the partnership on 1st July 1966.
On 23rd November 1964, the firm moved from its old premises at 137 Allan Street to new premises at 5 Lake Road, Kyabram.
On 1st July 1972 Dawes & Vary amalgamated with the firm of O'Toole & McPherson of Tatura, with a branch office at Rushworth - Marjorie Alberta McPherson being the sole partner of that firm at the time of the amalgamation.
The firm name was changed to Dawes & Vary, McPherson & Co. Four months later, on 1st October 1972, Brian John Birrell, who was previously an employee of O'Toole & McPherson, was admitted to the new partnership and the firm name was again changed to Dawes & Vary, O'Toole & McPherson. On 30th June 1973 Marj McPherson retired.
Geoff Flint retired (after 20 years) on 29th March 1974 to run a Newsagency in Fairfield and Vincent Michael Close (admitted to practice on 2nd October 1972) and Stewart William Jackson took his place. Stewart Jackson retired as a partner on 30th June 1975.
Geoff Flint died at Frankston on 15th March 1994.
On 1st January 1978 the firm amalgamated with the firm of Stewart & Sons of Tatura and James Burt Stewart was admitted as a partner. The new firm was called Dawes & Vary, Stewart & Co.
Also in 1978 the firm acquired the premises known as 7 Lake Road, Kyabram and erected a new office building which was joined to the existing premises at 5 Lake Road. These premises were occupied by the then Goulburn Valley Housing Loans Ltd and the Taxation practice of the firm.
On 1st of July 1980 the firm amalgamated with the Shepparton practice of Abernethy Towers & Dowd and commenced trading under the new name of Abernethy Dawes Stewart. The initial partners were John Adams, Brian Birrell, Vincent Close and Jim Stewart (from Dawes & Vary, Stewart & Co.), Phillip James Dowd and Hadyn John Brewer (from Abernethy Towers & Dowd). Shortly after Geoffrey Stewart Anderson Lipshut (from Dawes & Vary, Stewart & Co.) and David John Farram (from Abernethy Towers & Dowd) were also admitted as partners.
On 30th September 1982 Jim Stewart retired from the partnership to commence training as a Minister with the Continuing Presbyterian Church of Australia and became a Minister at Colac.
On 30th day of June 1983 Hadyn Brewer retired from the partnership.
On 1st December 1983 Vin Close retired from the partnership to commence work as a Solicitor in Darwin. He established his own legal practice there known as Carter & Close, but now trades as VM Close. At the same time Stephen John Bubb was admitted as a partner practising from the Kyabram office.
On 28th February 1984 the partnership of Abernethy Dawes Stewart was dissolved. Phil Dowd and David Farram took over the Shepparton part of the practice and commenced trading as Abernethy’s. John Adams, Stephen Bubb and Geoff Lipshut continued to conduct the Kyabram/Tatura practises trading as Dawes & Vary, Stewart.
Brian Birrell set up his own practice specialising as a Court Lawyer.
In response to public demand for wider and more comprehensive services, the firm established ADS Insurance Services Pty Ltd in November 1984 and D & V Taxation on 1st July 1987. These entities, in association with Goulburn Valley Housing Loans Pty Ltd, were able to provide a comprehensive range of services to the Kyabram public in association with the legal firm.
In late 1987 the firm undertook extensive modifications and additions to its premises at 5-7 Lake Road, Kyabram resulting in amalgamating the two buildings and the creation of one large modern set of offices. These offices were officially opened on 27th April 1988.
On 1st April 1988 the firm changed its name to Dawes & Vary, reverting to the name it is commonly known by and which was first used in 1915. On 1st September 1988, the firm converted from a partnership to an unlimited proprietary company - Dawes & Vary Pty.
By 1994 the firm had outgrown the accommodation available at 5-7 Lake Road. A two story extension was built on the site of the carpark joined to the existing building, completing the development of the site. The second story included office space, a boardroom and staff amenities.
On 1st July 1995 the firm acquired the Rochester practice of Stewart & Sons of Echuca.
A further milestone was achieved on 1st July 1996 when Jennifer Anne Orchard was admitted as a partner/director. She left the partnership in December 2001.
In 2002, the Dawes & Vary Group acquired the adjacent premises of Kyabram Exhaust and Automotive Repairs at 147 Fenaughty Street, Kyabram. This site was redeveloped to cater for the significantly expanded Group and housed Statewide Secured Investments Limited (formerly Goulburn Valley Housing Loans), Statewide Insurances Pty Ltd plus a state of the art computer facility along with staff amenities and the main Kyabram reception, interview offices and waiting area. The existing 5-7 Lake Road building was refurbished and houses Dawes & Vary Pty Ltd and Sheridan Partners Pty Ltd (formerly D & V Taxation) plus providing room for further growth.
Dormer Charles Hart joined Dawes & Vary Pty Ltd in January 2003 and in July was admitted as a partner on the retirement of John Adams. John Adams has continued as a consultant to Dawes & Vary Pty Ltd since his retirement on 30th June 2003.
In February 2004, Dawes & Vary Pty opened legal offices in the 60 High Street, Shepparton in the offices of Statewide Secured Investments with Lesley Hart appointed as the solicitor responsible. The Shepparton Family law practice of Pamela Davies was acquired in April 2004 and was merged into the High Street practice.
The directors of Dawes & Vary Pty Ltd in February 2004 were:
In July 2005 the legal practice of Mitchell McKenzie and Co of Echuca was purchased with the firm then practising in:
On 1st September 2008 three new directors were appointed:
In November 2008 the Shepparton office relocated to new premises at 159 Welsford Street Shepparton.
December 2012 saw the relocation of our Echuca office from 51-55 Heygarth Street to 201 Hare Street, Echuca.
Hugh Melville joined the firm as a Director in March 2013.
The current directors are Charles Hart, Lesley Hart, Racheal Alamaras, Trish Vigliaturo and Hugh Melville.
To see our history and how we've grown, please download our Timeline.
Having been part of its respective local communities, Dawes and Vary has maintained an active involvement in the community through both sponsorships and staff participation in community events and programs.
Some of our sponsorship includes:
Staff involvement in the community includes: